Portable Dishwashers: A Convenient Solution for Small Kitchens
For homeowners with compact kitchens, finding space for a standard dishwasher can be challenging. This is where portable dishwashers provide a convenient solution. It offers full-size washing capacity in a unit you can wheel to the sink when needed and tuck away when not in use. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of portable dishwashers, key features to look for, top models, and tips for easy installation.
Compared to permanent built-in dishwashers, portable models offer several advantages:
- Flexible placement – Roll to sink for use, then store elsewhere to save precious space. Great for small kitchens.
- Easy installation – No complicated wiring or custom cabinetry needed. Simply roll into position and hook up to the faucet.
- Renters can use – No permanent installation allows renters to utilize a dishwasher. Easily take with you when moving.
- Lower cost – Portable models tend to be more budget-friendly than traditional dishwashers.
- Energy and water efficiency – Newer models conserve resources for savings on utility bills.
- Wheels for mobility – Built-in wheels make it easy to move your dishwasher in and out of position as needed.
Key Features To Look For
When selecting a portable dishwasher, keep these features in mind:
- Wash cycles – Look for multiple cycles (heavy, normal, light) and options like sanitizing rinse.
- Dry cycles – Models with heated drying provide better drying results than passive air drying.
- Capacity – Check interior rack size and standard place settings to match your needs.
- Size and dimensions – Confirm the unit fits your space when positioned for use. Measure height to fit under counters.
- Noise level – Look for quieter models rated at less than 60 dBA so the machine won’t disturb you.
- Design – Choose a finish like stainless steel for a durable and sleek look.
- Reviews – Read customer reviews to learn the pros/cons of real-world use before purchasing.
Based on stellar customer reviews and ratings, these portable dishwashers stand out:
- SPT Countertop Dishwasher – Compact 18” model with 6 wash cycles and stainless steel interior. Energy efficient.
- BLACK+DECKER BCD6W – Budget-friendly model with wheely feet for easy portability. Energy Star certified.
- hOmeLabs Portable Dishwasher – 6 preset cycles with water and energy savings. Quiet at 55 dBA. Rust-resistant stainless interior.
- Farberware FDW05ASBWHA – 5000 series dishwasher with drying function and programmable controls. Quickly connects to sink.
- Danby DDW621WDB – Features 6 wash cycles, a stainless steel interior, and electronic controls with LED display. Two-year warranty.
Tips for Smooth Installation
Follow this advice for an easy setup:
- Review manufacturer instructions for proper installation steps.
- Position near kitchen sink with 4-6 inches of clearance for water and drain connections.
- Ensure a level, sturdy surface like a countertop or cabinet floor; secure feet with braces as needed.
- Attach the adapter collar and direct the water supply line to the kitchen faucet for hookup.
- Drain water into the sink using an included drain hose; secure the hose in place neatly.
- Plug the unit into a grounded outlet located within reach when positioned.
Taking measurements and reading manuals in advance ensures your dishwasher installs seamlessly. Then enjoy the convenience of rolling it in and out of place!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do you hook up a portable dishwasher?
Answer: Portable dishwashers hook up directly to the kitchen faucet using an adapter. The water supply line attaches to the adapter and the drain hose feeds into the sink.
Q: Where should you put a dishwasher?
Answer: Position portable dishwashers as close to the sink as possible for easy water hookup. Countertops or sturdy cabinet floors both work.
Q: Do dishwashers need to be secured in place?
Answer: Yes, use braces under the feet or wheels and make sure the unit doesn’t slide around. Check the manual for proper installation.
Q: Are dishwashers energy efficient?
Answer: Newer portable dishwasher models typically have Energy Star ratings and efficiency features like eco-wash cycles that conserve resources.
Q: Can you leave dishwashers out all the time?
Answer: Most people stash them away to maximize space in small kitchens. But you can leave out full-time if needed. Just take care not to tip over a top-heavy loaded unit.
For those with tiny kitchens, it provides full-capacity washing without consuming permanent space. Models with multiple cycles, quiet operation, and energy efficiency give you the benefits of a built-in dishwasher in a flexible, affordable package. Just be sure to double-check check dimensions and installation instructions before purchasing. With a portable dishwasher, clean dishes are just a quick roll away!