Lipo on Stomach: 10 Things I Wish I’d Known Earlier
Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries performed to eliminate stubborn fat in areas like the stomach and waist. While results can be satisfying when done correctly, it is a serious medical procedure that requires extensive research beforehand. This article will overview 10 key things to know if you consider getting a lipo on stomach.
Here are the 10 key things you should consider before take lipo on stomach:
1. Results Depend on Multiple Factors
The effectiveness of liposuction varies based on:
- Amount and location of fat – Liposuction works best on localized fat deposits, not large areas. The stomach is a common trouble zone.
- Skin elasticity – Youthful, elastic skin that rebounds well yields better contours. Older skin may lose tightness.
- Muscle tone – Some definition in the area enhances results. Liposuction doesn’t tighten muscles.
- Weight changes – Significant weight gain/loss can affect results. Maintaining a stable weight is ideal.
- Genetics – DNA plays a role in how readily your body loses and gains fat via diet, exercise or procedures.
- Lifestyle habits – A healthy diet and regular exercise regimen improves surgical outcomes long-term.
2. Traditional Lipo Isn’t the Only Option
Newer fat reduction technologies exist like laser, ultrasound, and cooling-assisted liposuction. Discuss the best options for your individual needs with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
3. Other Procedures May Be Combined
For optimal reshaping of the stomach area, abdominal liposuction is sometimes paired with:
- Tummy tuck – Removes excess skin and tightens separated muscles
- Body lift – Reshapes the stomach and other areas like hips and thighs
- Fat transfer – Adds volume by grafting fat to buttocks/breasts
4. Compression Garments Must Be Worn
Special compression binds or shapewear must be worn for weeks post-procedure to minimize swelling and ensure the skin molds to the new contours.
5. Bruising and Swelling are Common After Effects
Expect significant swelling, soreness, numbness, and visible bruising following liposuction. Slowly subsides over several weeks.
6. Plan for Several Days of Limited Activity
Take 5-10 days off work depending on the extent of treatment to rest. Avoid strenuous exercise and lifting during recovery.
7. It Doesn’t Replace Weight Loss or Body Contouring Exercise
Lipo removes fat cells but not overall weight. Dietary changes and exercise routines still apply for overall fitness.
8. Some Minor Irregularities May Persist
Minor imperfections like small bumps, dents, symmetry issues, or numbness may remain but usually resolve or can be touched up.
9. Leading a Healthy Lifestyle afterwards Helps Maintain Results
Just like weight loss, the results of liposuction must be maintained long-term through proper nutrition and exercise.
10. Be Psychologically Ready for Permanent Change
Lipo permanently removes fat cells so embrace the life change. Make sure you are getting it for the right mental reasons with full awareness of all considerations.
FAQs about Lipo on Stomach:
How long does recovery take after stomach liposuction?
Recovery typically takes 10-14 days for initial healing, but swelling may persist for 6-8 weeks. Most return to normal activities within 1-2 weeks but avoid exercise for 2-4 weeks.
Will lipo on stomach get rid of belly fat and give me six pack abs?
Lipo removes fat but does not strengthen abdominal muscles. Some muscle definition is visible when fat is removed but diet and exercise for actual six pack abs.
Does lipo on stomach leave scars?
The small insertion incisions heal well and are strategically placed and minimal. With proper care, scars fade over 3-6 months and are easily concealed.
Can I get lipo on stomach more than once?
Yes, lipo can be repeated but removing too much fat increases risks. There should be a 6-12 month gap between procedures in the same area.
Am I too old or young for lipo on stomach?
There is no specific age cutoff, but elasticity of the skin determines results. Lipo works best between ages 18-60 when the skin still has resilience to retract.
Thoroughly researching the ins and outs of abdominal liposuction allows making an educated decision about risks and benefits. Discuss all aspects with your plastic surgeon and set realistic expectations around the process, required recovery periods, and potential results based on your unique situation. As with any permanent surgical procedure, pursuing liposuction should only be undertaken after careful thought and self-examination. But when done for the right reasons and performed properly, body contouring through liposuction can boost self-confidence. Just be sure to enter the process informed.