How to Make Shroom Tea: Unlocking the Magic of Psilocybin Brews
Brewing shroom tea has become a well-liked method for ingesting psilocybin mushrooms. This involves steeping either dried or fresh mushrooms in hot water, resulting in a flavorful and potent psychedelic beverage. Making shroom tea allows you to avoid eating the mushrooms, which some find unpalatable, while also providing a faster come-up compared to eating them whole. With the right technique, shroom tea can be easy to prepare and enjoy. This article will explore how to make shroom tea, materials needed, tips, pros and cons, benefits, and answer frequently asked questions.
How to Make Shroom Tea Materials Needed:
- Dried or fresh psilocybin mushrooms – about 1-5 grams per person depending on desired effects
- Teapot or pot for boiling water
- Tea strainer, cheesecloth, or coffee filter
- Teacup or mug
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Honey or sugar (optional)
How to Make Shroom Tea Instructions:
- Prepare the mushrooms- For dried mushrooms, finely chopping or crushing them exposes more surface area. When dealing with fresh mushrooms, gently clean them using a soft brush or towel (avoiding washing), and then slice them into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Boil water- Bring a generous quantity of water to a boil in a teapot or pot, ensuring you have a minimum of 1 cup per tea serving.
- Simmer the mushrooms- Introduce the prepared mushrooms into the boiling water, then lower the heat and let the mixture simmer for 10-20 minutes. Extended simmering will enhance the extraction of psilocybin.
- Strain the mushroom pieces- Pour the mushroom tea through a strainer, cheesecloth, or coffee filter to remove the mushroom pieces. Press the solids gently to squeeze out all the liquid.
- Flavor the tea (optional)- Add lemon juice, honey, sugar, or other flavorings if desired. Lemon juice helps extract psilocybin. Honey or sugar counters the bitterness.
- Drink the tea- Pour the steaming hot mushroom tea into teacups or mugs. Be careful not to burn your mouth. The effects take about 20-60 minutes to manifest once ingested. Drink slowly and be mindful of dosage.
Tips on How to Make Shroom Tea:
- Use freshly dried mushrooms, as older ones lose potency over time. Store dried mushrooms in an airtight container out of sunlight.
- Grind dried mushrooms into a coarse powder before simmering to expose even more surface area.
- Simmer grated ginger, tea bags, or sliced lemon in the water along with the mushrooms. The acidity helps extract psilocybin.
- Avoid boiling the mushrooms to prevent psilocybin breakdown. A sustained low simmer is ideal.
- Squeeze the mushroom solids thoroughly after straining to get out all the liquid. The tea trip may be more intense than eating them.
- Add some mint or ginger tea bags to help soothe nausea, a common side effect of shroom tea.
How to Make Shroom Tea Pros:
- Faster Onset: Shroom tea provides a quicker onset of psychedelic effects compared to consuming mushrooms directly, allowing for a more controlled and predictable experience.
- Palatability: The tea form helps mask the sometimes unpleasant taste of mushrooms, making it a more enjoyable method of ingestion for those who find the flavor disagreeable.
- Customizable Flavor: The addition of optional ingredients like lemon juice, honey, or sugar allows for a personalized and more palatable taste.
- Ease of Preparation: Crafting shroom tea is a straightforward process that requires minimal equipment, making it accessible for both beginners and experienced users.
- Reduced Nausea: Including mint or ginger tea bags in the brewing process can help alleviate nausea, a common side effect associated with consuming psychedelic mushrooms.
How to Make Shroom Tea Cons:
- Potency Variability: The potency of the tea can vary based on factors such as mushroom quality, preparation technique, and simmering time.
- Shorter Duration: The effects of shroom tea may have a slightly shorter duration compared to consuming mushrooms directly.
- Psilocybin Breakdown Risk: Boiling the mushrooms at high temperatures may risk breaking down psilocybin. Careful simmering is recommended to avoid this.
How to Make Shroom Tea Benefits:
- Mental Health Exploration: Psychedelic experiences, when approached with caution and in a safe environment, may facilitate introspection and exploration of one’s mental well-being.
- Mindfulness Enhancement: Shroom tea, when consumed mindfully, can contribute to a heightened sense of awareness and mindfulness.
- Potential Therapeutic Effects: Some studies suggest that psilocybin, the active compound in magic mushrooms, may have therapeutic potential for mental health conditions, though research is ongoing.
How to Make Shroom Tea Precautions
- Effects take only 20-60 minutes to manifest. Drink slowly to gauge strength.
- Environment and headspace dramatically impact the experience. Create a calm, safe space.
- Don’t operate vehicles or machinery. Have a sober guide present if taking a high dose.
- Psilocybin can interact with SSRIs and other medications. Do your research.
- While nontoxic and nonaddictive, psychedelics can trigger latent mental health issues. Take precautions.
How to Make Shroom Tea FAQ:
Q: Is shroom tea more potent than eating shrooms?
Answer: Yes, shroom tea often provides a stronger, faster trip compared to eating them. The hot water more efficiently extracts the psilocybin.
Q: Can you reuse mushroom pieces after making tea?
Answer: Yes but potency will be diminished. The mushrooms have already released most of their psilocybin into the first batch of tea.
Q: Is it better to take shroom tea on an empty or full stomach?
Answer: An empty stomach will make the effects manifest faster. A light meal before drinking will make the come up more gradual.
Q: How long does shroom tea last?
Answer: The trip typically lasts 4-6 hours, peaking at around 2 hours in. This is slightly shorter than eating them.
Q: Can you add milk or cream to shroom tea?
Answer: Not recommended, as dairy may interfere with psilocybin absorption. Use lemon instead.
With this simple mushroom tea recipe and guide, you can easily produce a tasty psilocybin-infused tea. By following the proper preparation methods and dosage, shroom tea can provide a pleasant, mystical journey of self-discovery without the need to eat the mushrooms. Always take precautions, drink slowly, and integrate the experience once it’s over. Mushroom tea is a time-honored way to tap into the healing powers of psilocybin.