Best Green Tea for Weight Loss: Our 5 Recommended Picks
Using the Best Green Tea for Weight Loss Green tea has gained immense popularity as a health drink owing to its ability to boost metabolism and help burn fat. Sipping on green tea alone won’t shred pounds off your frame, but it can support weight loss efforts when paired with a balanced diet and exercise.
Green tea boasts EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), a phytochemical proven by research to boost fat oxidation and calorie expenditure during physical activity. Additionally, the catechins in green tea offer antioxidant properties, mitigate inflammation, and help maintain healthy blood sugar levels and appetite control.
When shopping for green tea, quality matters. Low-grade green teas or bottled varieties won’t offer the same fat-fighting punch as high quality loose leaf teas. Here are 5 of the Best Green Tea for Weight Loss to try for supporting weight loss goals:
- Matcha Green Tea Matcha is a concentrated powdered form of green tea made from the leaves of shade-grown Camellia sinensis. Since the whole leaf is ingested, matcha provides greater levels of catechins and EGCG than steeped green tea. Research shows matcha can boost metabolism, increase fat breakdown, and reduce absorption of carbs and fat.
- Sencha Green Tea Sencha is a variety of loose leaf green tea known for its high antioxidant content and pleasant vegetal flavor. It has a significant catechin profile along with naturally occurring vitamin C, zinc, chromium, and magnesium. Sencha makes an invigorating daily green tea.
- Genmaicha (Brown Rice Tea) This blend combines sencha green tea with toasted brown rice. The combination boosts metabolism and provides filling fiber that suppresses appetite. Women in Japan have drank genmaicha for centuries to maintain a lean, healthy physique.
- Gunpowder Green Tea Gunpowder green gets its name from the tight roll of the tea leaves into pellet shapes. This rolling technique allows the leaves to retain their fresh flavor and active catechins. Gunpowder green provides a bold tea with a touch of smokiness.
- Pi Lo Chun Green Tea Pi lo chun is a fragrant, delicate green tea grown in the early spring in China’s Jiangsu province. It has a lovely orchid aroma and sweet finish. Along with supporting weight loss, it can also aid digestion after meals.
Best Green Tea for Weight Loss Practices To see optimal results, follow these tips when drinking the best green tea for weight loss:
- Drink at least 2 cups per day before meals or workouts. Have some in the morning to ramp up metabolism.
- Choose loose leaf or powdered teas over bottled, which lack potency.
- Brew teas at lower temperatures to avoid bitterness and obtain more catechins.
- Drink teas unsweetened or add just a touch of honey or lemon. Avoid milk, sweeteners, or creamers.
- Pair green tea drinking with a reduced calorie, nutrient dense diet and regular exercise for enhanced weight loss.
- Be persistent and drink green tea daily. Weight loss takes time and consistency.
You can rotate different types of green tea to discover new flavors and avoid boredom. Always choose organic, purity-tested teas from reputable sources. Keep teas stored away from light and oxygen to preserve freshness.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much weight can I lose by drinking green tea?
Results will vary based on the individual and other lifestyle factors. However, studies show green tea drinkers experience increased weight loss, typically 3-5 lbs over 3 months.
When should I drink green tea for the most benefits?
Drink a cup in the morning before eating or working out and again before meals or in the afternoon for an energy boost.
Are there any side effects from green tea?
Green tea has caffeine, so side effects may include jitters, headaches, insomnia, or upset stomach if consumed excessively. Start slow and monitor your response.
Does adding milk negate the benefits?
Yes, add-ins like milk and sugar can reduce the antioxidant capacity and health benefits of green tea. Enjoy it plain.
Can green tea be consumed while pregnant?
Low caffeine varieties are considered safe in moderation during pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor before increasing intake.
Green tea can be a beneficial addition to a healthy lifestyle geared towards weight loss. Its natural metabolism enhancing properties can help you better torch fat and lose weight when combined with proper diet and exercise. Experiment with high quality loose leaf and powdered green teas to find your favorites that will help you reach your body goals.