Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss
From busy work schedules to family demands, it can be hard to find time to prepare nutritious meals when you’re trying to slim down. This is where frozen diet meals come in handy! Frozen entrees and prepared meals provide an easy way to control portions and get quality nutrition in minutes when weight loss is the goal.
In this article, we’ll explore what to look for when selecting the best frozen meals for a weight-loss diet. We’ll also recommend some of the best-frozen diet meals and delivery plans that can accelerate your weight loss efforts. A few common questions about using frozen meals for shedding pounds are also answered.
How Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss Helps
Here are some of the key ways that frozen prepared meals support weight loss:
Convenience – No chopping, cooking, or cleaning up – just microwave and eat. This saves time and makes sticking to diet goals simple.
Portion Control – Frozen meals provide pre-portioned calories and servings. This eliminates the guesswork around how much you should eat.
Nutrition – Many frozen options are rich in protein, fiber, and nutrients. They can be more nutritious than takeout or drive-thru.
Low Calorie – Diet-friendly frozen entrees provide reasonable calories, usually ranging from 300-500 per meal.
No Added Junk – Homemade frozen meals avoid the added sugar, salt, and fat that are pitfalls of restaurant fare.
For successful weight loss, consuming fewer calories than you burn daily is key. Frozen diet meals make monitoring portions and calories a no-brainer.
What to Look for in Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss
With the explosion in supermarket freezer sections and delivery choices, there are lots of frozen prepared meals touting their diet-friendly status. But not all are created equal when it comes to nutrition! Here are some top things to evaluate:
- 300-500 calories per serving
- At least 15g of protein
- 5g fiber or higher
- Low in added sugars (under 10g per serving)
- Uses lean meats, whole grains and veggies
- Limited in saturated fat and sodium
- Positive reviews for taste
Carefully reading nutrition labels helps discern the truly balanced frozen diet meals from ones loaded with empty carbs and sodium. Seek items aligning with your dietary preferences like gluten-free, vegetarian, organic, etc.
The Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss
Here are 5 highly recommended picks for best-frozen meals for weight loss from both supermarkets and delivery services:
- Caulipower Frozen Cauliflower Pizza – Cauliflower crust pizzas that cut calories without sacrificing flavor. Try flavors like Three Cheese or Margherita.
- Lean Cuisine Marketplace – Nutrient-rich selections like Salmon with Hollandaise and Chicken and Mushroom Risotto with great macro ratios.
- Beetnik Foods – Prepared frozen Paleo and Keto meals like their Chicken Pot Pie Bowl and Beef & Chicken Fajita Bowl.
- FreshlyFit – Customizable frozen meal plans delivering chef-cooked, dietitian-approved meals to your door.
- RealEats – Meal kits with pre-portioned fresh ingredients to prepare nutritious recipes like Five Spice Pork & Broccoli Bowl.
Tips for Using Frozen Diet Meals
Here are some pointers to make best-frozen meals for weight loss an effective part of your diet:
- Scan labels for proper calories, protein, etc. Stick to 1-2 diet meal entrees daily max.
- Supplement with veggie side dishes and salad for added nutrition and volume.
- Drink water with meals and avoid sugary drinks that add excess calories.
- Heating until steaming helps kill bacteria and bring out flavors.
- Eat mindfully at a table without distractions to prevent overeating.
- Mix up frozen meal flavors and brands to prevent taste fatigue.
- Make sure frozen doesn’t completely replace cooking your own minimally processed meals.
The bottom line is that frozen diet meals can make calorie restriction more simple. However lasting weight loss still requires an overall healthy lifestyle approach.
What Does the Research Say?
Studies demonstrate frozen diet meals can assist weight loss in the short and long term:
- A 2015 clinical trial had obese subjects use meal replacements including frozen entrees or Follow a traditional weight loss diet. The replacement group lost about 9 lbs more after one year.
- A study of supermarket diet meals found meals averaging 330 calories offered satisfactory nutrition and weight loss utility.
- Research has shown better long-term adherence to diet plans that include partial meal replacement with frozen entrees.
- A study comparing Medifast portion-controlled frozen meals versus a heart health diet plan found both equally effective for short-term weight loss over 16 weeks.
While more studies are warranted, current evidence suggests incorporating frozen diet meals can benefit weight management.
Potential Drawbacks of Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss
Some downsides to keep in mind regarding relying on best-frozen meals for weight loss:
- Heavily processed frozen meals may contain preservatives and sodium.
- Some entrees are low in protein, fiber, or volume. Supplement accordingly.
- Doesn’t help you learn healthy cooking and meal-prepping skills.
- Risk of boredom with repetitive frozen meal options.
- Creates packaging waste. Seek eco-friendly frozen meal brands.
- Should not completely replace fresh, minimally processed whole foods.
- May become a crutch versus developing sustainable nutrition habits.
The bottom line is quality frozen meals can assist weight loss efforts but shouldn’t be your sole food source. Evaluate options to find ones aligning with your needs and goals.
FAQ’s About Best Frozen Meals for Weight Loss :
Here are answers to some common frozen meals for weight loss questions:
How much weight can you lose per week by eating the best frozen meals for weight loss?
Answer: Around 1-2 pounds per week is reasonable if eating 1-2 portions and calorie-controlled frozen meals combined with nutritious foods and exercise. The rate depends on the calorie deficit created.
Can frozen diet meals help lower cholesterol?
Answer: Potentially. Meals high in vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains may help reduce LDL and triglycerides. However, research specifically on frozen meals is limited.
Are frozen meals bad for you when dieting?
Answer: Some poor-quality frozen meals are high in sodium and preservatives. But brands made with lean protein, veggies, and smart nutrition can be very diet-friendly.
Do the best-frozen meals for weight loss cause belly fat?
Answer: No specific food causes fat gain in specific areas like the belly. Consuming too many calories from any source can result in overall weight and fat gain if you’re not careful about portions.
Can best-frozen meals for weight loss slow down your metabolism?
Answer: There’s no evidence that frozen diet meals negatively impact your metabolic rate. Severe calorie restriction overwhelms the metabolism but moderate calorie meals are fine.
The Bottom Line
Frozen meals can make an easy nutritional addition to a weight loss plan when chosen mindfully. Select options around 300-500 calories with at least 15g protein and 5g fiber. Pair them with fresh produce and cooked whole foods for balanced nutrition. Used prudently along with exercise, frozen diet entrees provide a convenient tool to slim down faster.